Buckingham, The Three Cups, Bridge Street

Copyright © Kevin Quick. Photo taken 2004


The site of this inn was part of a much larger property which extended down the full length of the present Bridge Street to the River Ouse. The house faced onto the High Street and was called The Corner House. In the 1600s the property (including the Three Cups building) were given to the use of the Governors of Christ's Hospital. The first recorded use of the building as an inn is in the mid 1700s, when George Parker insured it with the Sun Fire Office (1752). Later the property was sold to the Duke of Buckingham, and on the death of the 3rd Duke of Buckingham it was sold, with The White Hart, for £4,700 to William James Gough (William had been leasing The Three Cups since 1873). Gough subsequently sold The Three Cups to Messrs. Blencowe for £1,500.


Buying a prints of photos on this web site  To Bucks Church Photos  To Bucks Village Photo Page  To Beds Church Photos  To Beds Village Photos  Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society